Skip to main content

An IVF Transfer and a Pandemic

It was March 16th and all of us at the office were told we would be working from home until further notice. The number of Covid-19 numbers were rising and it was evident, we were in the middle of a pandemic. My boss had us each come into his office to discuss what this new work-life would look like and I started crying. It had nothing to do with work, but I had an IVF transfer scheduled that Friday and was terrified this date I’ve prepared for would never happen. 

March 20th

We were actually one of the fortunate ones and were not turned away. We had to wear masks and were told of the risks, but were allowed to go through with it. I wore my lucky pineapple socks, a pineapple shirt, and listened to catchy tunes the whole way to Grand Rapids. We were greeted right away and had our temperatures checked. Once we passed the screening, we were lead to our room. They showed us a picture of our beautiful embryos and began the transfer. The whole process was so surreal. Here these two babies were, thawed after being frozen in time for 4 years and then transferred into me. Talk about pressure, right? Seeing them on the ultrasound, once they were transferred, was truly every emotion - love, fear, excitement, and longing. We loved them instantly. Immediately after, we got our McDonald’s French fries and were on our way home. Now we would wait.

Day Ten

With IVF, you don’t pee on a stick. I mean, you can, but the blood test is what really shows you if it worked. I will never forget falling to my knees and crying to my husband when we found out we were pregnant and had great levels. I couldn’t believe it. I finally felt like I could breath. We had to wait 48 hours to make sure my numbers doubled. This was huge for us. All three of our prior pregnancies has never resulted in doubling levels. I needed this to double. Once again, after finding out they more than doubled, I cried. This was real. 

Week 6

I think I took 5 tests in between week 4 and 6. I just had to know everything was ok. By the time we got to our 6 week ultrasound, I was convinced something was going to go wrong. Even as I was laying on the bed, waiting to see our babies, I was terrified. Fortunately, I saw something. It wasn’t the two we transferred, and I prayed for that little one that didn’t make it, but there was a beautiful baby growing with a strong, fighting heartbeat. I cried again; it was another step we had never gotten to and once again, I could breath. Two weeks later, we would see him again and be reassured with another strong heartbeat and a healthy growing baby with arms and legs. This tiny life was telling me he was here.

Unexpected 

What I didn’t expect was the amount of fear that would ensue. I always assumed once we were pregnant, that would be it. I am 13 weeks in two days and, although it gets better, still feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I didn’t know my experiences before would shape how I am now. The thing is, I don’t want them to. I want to embrace and know this baby is ok. I’ve learned to breath, pray, and am heavily involved in fertility yoga. My mind is getting better and my heart is open. Open to this pregnancy and this miracle life growing inside me. Since our 8 week appointment, I have been able to hear his beautiful heart beat 2 more times, and we took a blood test to find out his gender. Henry, my boy, you are already so loved.

There is still more work to do to ease my mind, but each day I fully intend to embrace this blessing and give it all to God. We were set on this path for a reason and deep down, I know it will work out. Until then, it’s time to let this belly bump show and continue chowing down on salt and carbs.

Until next time <3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Fighters

I didn't expect to have an update this soon, but what I need to realize is I need to stop having any expectations.  I have no clue which obstacles will continue, how high or low the hills will be, and there is not a single thing I can do about it.  The reason I say this is because I didn't think my appointment on Monday to have the ultrasound would be a big deal.  My husband, Tim, insisted my mom come with me since he had to work and I asked her even though I saw no point.  This wasn't supposed to be a big appointment and I already knew what the situation was.  I knew I had a heart-shaped uterus so what else was there to worry about?  Wrong again. As I'm sitting on the table with the nurse examining my lady business, I asked her what she saw.  Of course she played it safe and told me my doctor would go over everything with me.  She was nice about it, but it still annoyed me.  Just tell me already, no your not a doctor but you also know what you are looking at.  Luck

A Competent Cervix Success Story After a LEEP and IVF

  We all know Dr. Google can be pretty negative when all we really want is to find some reassuring news. This was all I wanted when I found out that the combination of my LEEP procedure (scraping early Cancer off my cervix) and IVF can lead to an incompetent cervix. An incompetent cervix is when your cervix basically can’t handle pregnancy and you deliver early without typical contractions.  My OB informed me they would be monitoring every two weeks from weeks 16 - 24 to measure and make sure no folding occurs. What did I do the minute I got in the car? I searched for any success stories, which ended up being hard to come by. My hope is that my success story will reassure others.  Biweekly Monitoring If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll get to see your little every two weeks with cute ultrasound pics included. It was really nice getting extra face time with our growing peanut. We also got to see his heartbeat  and, after three losses, this was really reassuring. These ultraso

New Beginnings

 I’ve been drafting this in my head for days. It has been 5 days since our second child was born and even typing the word “second” feels surreal and still selfish. The selfishness comes from when I was yearning for just one.  Looking back at my first post, I need to tell that girl that her journey would be long and there would be times she would feel hopeless, lost, and alone. I would also tell her she needs to be strong because each bump on this treacherous road would lead her to exactly where she was meant to be.  I am not going to lie and say I was ever truly confident during this pregnancy. I was terrified  all the time. It was a version of PTSD where I kept waiting for the loss to happen. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy and soak in carrying our second little one. I soaked in every minute, but I just made sure to leave enough of a guard up, just in case.  What I couldn’t have predicted was how successful this pregnancy would be. Every time I was met with a scare, this little one s