Skip to main content

An Ever Evolving Plan

Plans Change and Change Again
Sometimes, I think God laughs at me when I make plans. I'd like to think he finds some moderate enjoyment in watching my mind work. The recent turn of events is a perfect example of that.

I was sitting at my desk, at work, and taking a break to scroll Facebook. A guy I went to school with and his wife posted a picture from the day they officially adopted their son. Seeing their picture made me so grateful for how Edison came into our life and that he is ours. It also made me question our plan for IVF. It wasn't that I didn't wan't to do it, but I started contemplating embryo adoption instead. This seems like an odd shift given our reproductive bits checked out just fine; this means we can use our own embryos and would have decent chances at a successful pregnancy. Something inside me didn't want to use ours, though. I just kept thinking about these unborn, frozen babies, just waiting to be born. I thought about Edison's very special story in how he came into this world and that solidified it for me. Of course, I first had to talk to the hubby.

Our conversation revealed more changes to our plan. The husband had a valid point in that we have never actually tried to get pregnant without the septum. We always thought it was gone after the September 2016 surgery, but that was not the case and so ensued 2 more miscarriages. He wondered if we should try one more time just to see. I turn 35 this May, so many of you gals can imagine the resistance I had for this. 34 is old AF in the fertility world, but he was right. We talked it over with our doctor and she agreed and honestly hoped we could just get pregnant on our own. After talking it over some more, our new plan was created and has felt right ever since.

The New Plan
This plan actually started in August, but I am the working mom of a toddler so it's a tad tricky to find time to blog. We have and will continue to try to conceive with the help of Letrozole (pills I take on days 3-7) and an Ovidrel shot (to trigger ovulation). The first month was unsuccessful, but we still have three months to go with this routine. If this doesn't work, we will undergo IVF using donor eggs in January. We are confirming our embryo selection this weekend which has been a fun process. You have pretty much every ounce of information on the donors that anyone can imagine which includes success rates of the set of embryos. It was daunting at first, but made for a fun Thursday night with the husband.

I am sure most are wondering what in the heck embryo adoption entails. I'll break it down for you:

1. The last two weeks of December, I would give myself an injection to suppress ovulation for that month.
2. Closer to the middle of January, I would take Estradiol pills to build my Uterine wall (this helps support pregnancy) and Progesterone shots which aid in pregnancy as well.
3. At the end of January, I would have a transfer done where the frozen embryos will be deposited into my Uterus.
4. We keep busy for two weeks and then take a blood test about 12 days after the procedure to determine if it worked.

What Then
With everything in place, there is still a chance none of it will work. If that is the case, we will transfer one more egg and then say goodbye to this part of the plan. At that point we will need to determine what we want to do. Adoption is definitely on the list, but that can be costly so we will know more if that time comes. This comes from a place of wanting Edison to have a sibling if it is meant to be, but it does not come from a place of desperation like it would if he wasn't here. I am perfectly happy with it just being the three of us. My boys are my world. For me it's more about looking back and knowing I pursued all that I was supposed to. Basically, Edison will either have a sibling, or we will get a puppy and move our Disney trip up a year and that sounds perfectly wonderful to me.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Fighters

I didn't expect to have an update this soon, but what I need to realize is I need to stop having any expectations.  I have no clue which obstacles will continue, how high or low the hills will be, and there is not a single thing I can do about it.  The reason I say this is because I didn't think my appointment on Monday to have the ultrasound would be a big deal.  My husband, Tim, insisted my mom come with me since he had to work and I asked her even though I saw no point.  This wasn't supposed to be a big appointment and I already knew what the situation was.  I knew I had a heart-shaped uterus so what else was there to worry about?  Wrong again. As I'm sitting on the table with the nurse examining my lady business, I asked her what she saw.  Of course she played it safe and told me my doctor would go over everything with me.  She was nice about it, but it still annoyed me.  Just tell me already, no your not a doctor but you also know what you are looking at.  Luck

New Beginnings

 I’ve been drafting this in my head for days. It has been 5 days since our second child was born and even typing the word “second” feels surreal and still selfish. The selfishness comes from when I was yearning for just one.  Looking back at my first post, I need to tell that girl that her journey would be long and there would be times she would feel hopeless, lost, and alone. I would also tell her she needs to be strong because each bump on this treacherous road would lead her to exactly where she was meant to be.  I am not going to lie and say I was ever truly confident during this pregnancy. I was terrified  all the time. It was a version of PTSD where I kept waiting for the loss to happen. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy and soak in carrying our second little one. I soaked in every minute, but I just made sure to leave enough of a guard up, just in case.  What I couldn’t have predicted was how successful this pregnancy would be. Every time I was met with a scare, this little one s

A Competent Cervix Success Story After a LEEP and IVF

  We all know Dr. Google can be pretty negative when all we really want is to find some reassuring news. This was all I wanted when I found out that the combination of my LEEP procedure (scraping early Cancer off my cervix) and IVF can lead to an incompetent cervix. An incompetent cervix is when your cervix basically can’t handle pregnancy and you deliver early without typical contractions.  My OB informed me they would be monitoring every two weeks from weeks 16 - 24 to measure and make sure no folding occurs. What did I do the minute I got in the car? I searched for any success stories, which ended up being hard to come by. My hope is that my success story will reassure others.  Biweekly Monitoring If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll get to see your little every two weeks with cute ultrasound pics included. It was really nice getting extra face time with our growing peanut. We also got to see his heartbeat  and, after three losses, this was really reassuring. These ultraso