Skip to main content

It Was Always You

Our beautiful boy is sitting beside me as I type this. My fingers will not give justice to the overwhelming joy our hearts feel, but I will try my best. On June 11th, at 3:09 am, we received the call that would change our lives forever...


The Call

The call came early on a Monday morning that was two days after his due date. My husband and I rushed to the hospital. We were joined with both of who created him which made it that much more beautiful. The contractions came hard and fast leaving us with little time as he made his appearance at 6:05 am. This moment will be engraved in us forever.

There He Was

I will always cherish the moments leading up to his birth and what transpired after. I breathed with his birth mother and rubbed her back. I wanted so bad to take away all of the physical pain she had as she was giving us this amazing gift. She couldn't have an epidural because we were too close which only added to my guilt. The nurse then asked her who she wanted to hold him and in the middle of her contraction, she said me adamantly. As she did the only three pushes she would need, our beautiful boy came out and he was perfect. As he entered our world, she unzipped my sweatshirt so that I could have skin-to-skin time. This selfless person who was giving us the best gift we could imagine, was also making sure I got all of my mommy moments. For this I am forever indebted. The nurses took him to be cleaned and give him his shots and he was crying. I went to him and said, " Hi Edison, Mommy loves you so much. You are absolutely perfect." He looked up at me and stopped crying while wrapping his tiny fingers around mine. Just like that, everything else stopped and it was just my son and I. Tim came over to join us after making sure she was ok, and then it was the three of us. Our family. He looked at us both and immediately stole our hearts even more than he already had. 

48 Hours of Anxiety

The hospital stay is where you have the highest chance of a birth parent changing their mind. Needless to say, we were on pins and needles, but really had all the reassurance anyone could ask for. Edison, Tim, and I had our own room with him and then Tim got her donuts. I went to see her later to visit and it was like it always had been. We laughed, cried, and she still admitted being confident. Tim and I had the rest of the day to enjoy our sweet boy and would be discharged in two days.

The next day we found out that she had placed Edison William Walter on his birth certificate which is unheard of for a birth parent. Her case worker advised against it (usually the child would have the  name of the biological parent until the final hearing) because that would be his legal name, but she knew what she wanted. This was so reassuring for us and came at the perfect time because soon her, his birth father, and biological brother would come to see him. They got time alone with him, which was a good thing, as it gave them time to process this major decision. It was the longest 7 minutes of my life, but needed. When returning to our sweet son, his biological father told my husband congratulations. I then sent two pictures to her, one with her holding him and one with me. I told her how grateful I was to her and she did the same. Later that day, she and his biological father came to say their final goodbyes. The four of us cried and hugged. We've spent 8 months bonding and getting to know people who gave us the best gift and now were starting the next chapter which would't be together anymore. It truly was bittersweet. We then thanked one another for this beautiful journey and said goodbye. 

We Can Finally Breath

Since then, 4 weeks have passed. Today was the day she terminated her rights which places full legal custody to us. He is ours and we don't have the fear in the background of minds changing. Looking back at the process as a whole, I truly believe we had the BEST experience you could hope for. She stuck to her word all along and was so reassuring when she didn't owe me anything. This beautiful soul gave us our son and always made us feel like he was ours from day one. 

Now that her rights are terminated, she cannot change her mind and his biological father already signed his paperwork. All that is left is for us to go to court to receive a new birth certificate with our names attached. Think of the day she terminated her rights as the day a couple gets married. They are husband and wife. Think of our court date as the day a woman changes her last name, officially, after being married. 

The Journey

This summer will be 3 years since Tim and I were married. Three years of trying, begging, praying, pleading for a baby. There have been many days I lost myself in our 3 miscarriages and constant yearning to be a mother, but now as I stare into my son's eyes. I know it was all part of the plan and as hard as those moments were, they lead me to exactly where I am supposed to be. It was worth every one of pain and grief because my heart is so filled with unconditonal love and joy for this little boy, that I can't even remember feeling that way anymore. Its as if he was always here and we just had to find him. The three of us were meant to be and all it took was being open to the plan set forth. I embrace whatever life has in store for us and am a changed person because I now see you do just have to open your mind and heart to your faith and know that it will all be ok. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Fighters

I didn't expect to have an update this soon, but what I need to realize is I need to stop having any expectations.  I have no clue which obstacles will continue, how high or low the hills will be, and there is not a single thing I can do about it.  The reason I say this is because I didn't think my appointment on Monday to have the ultrasound would be a big deal.  My husband, Tim, insisted my mom come with me since he had to work and I asked her even though I saw no point.  This wasn't supposed to be a big appointment and I already knew what the situation was.  I knew I had a heart-shaped uterus so what else was there to worry about?  Wrong again. As I'm sitting on the table with the nurse examining my lady business, I asked her what she saw.  Of course she played it safe and told me my doctor would go over everything with me.  She was nice about it, but it still annoyed me.  Just tell me already, no your not a doctor but you also know what you are looking at.  Luck

New Beginnings

 I’ve been drafting this in my head for days. It has been 5 days since our second child was born and even typing the word “second” feels surreal and still selfish. The selfishness comes from when I was yearning for just one.  Looking back at my first post, I need to tell that girl that her journey would be long and there would be times she would feel hopeless, lost, and alone. I would also tell her she needs to be strong because each bump on this treacherous road would lead her to exactly where she was meant to be.  I am not going to lie and say I was ever truly confident during this pregnancy. I was terrified  all the time. It was a version of PTSD where I kept waiting for the loss to happen. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy and soak in carrying our second little one. I soaked in every minute, but I just made sure to leave enough of a guard up, just in case.  What I couldn’t have predicted was how successful this pregnancy would be. Every time I was met with a scare, this little one s

A Competent Cervix Success Story After a LEEP and IVF

  We all know Dr. Google can be pretty negative when all we really want is to find some reassuring news. This was all I wanted when I found out that the combination of my LEEP procedure (scraping early Cancer off my cervix) and IVF can lead to an incompetent cervix. An incompetent cervix is when your cervix basically can’t handle pregnancy and you deliver early without typical contractions.  My OB informed me they would be monitoring every two weeks from weeks 16 - 24 to measure and make sure no folding occurs. What did I do the minute I got in the car? I searched for any success stories, which ended up being hard to come by. My hope is that my success story will reassure others.  Biweekly Monitoring If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll get to see your little every two weeks with cute ultrasound pics included. It was really nice getting extra face time with our growing peanut. We also got to see his heartbeat  and, after three losses, this was really reassuring. These ultraso